About, and Out, 3 Years Ago.

About, and out, three years ago.

I see Annie again today. She looks warily at me as she descends the stairs. She is warm brown skin, long straight hair, and tired beauty. It’s a beauty as fragile as a middle aged fag’s ego, although, missing the latter’s serrated edges.  Gripping my hand to greet me, she massages and holds it firmly. I momentarily forget I am gay. She speaks English with a Vietnamese accent.

"Oh, I know you."  She asserts, and I nod, "You were…", she points up to the 2nd floor coffee house where we met.
"You are Goy?" she asks.
"I am", I say, as it is true: I am Goy and I am Gay.
She sighs, in a seemingly tranquil way, and tells me, again, a little of the story of Annie. Afterwards, she questions me:
"You have boyfriend?", and continues, "I not have boyfriend, life is hard, but with boyfriend: life is harder."
I laugh a little.
"I no like man. I want…” she uses a hand sign for woman that I partially understand.

Annie politely refuses my offer to buy her lunch. (In reality, an offer I haven’t made.)

Shortly after this, I am on my way.


She is laughing as I mount the stairs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog